Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Challenge for the week, and a new pattern (maybe)

Good morning... or afternoon, or evening for that matter, depending on what time you see this. The point is that I hope you are having a pleasant portion of your day as you browse around at nice things to look at and amusing things to read on the internet I was delighted to see that the tangle pattern Sanibelle was chosen as the challenge at The Diva this week because it has been a favorite of mine since I found out about Zentangle a few months back. I used it quite a lot for a while and had been trying to branch out and use new ones recently. I have been less than impressed with my recent tangle efforts and it was good to get back to a comfortable, familiar pattern. So here are my entries for this week. BTW, CONGRATULATIONS to Laura Harms on winning the Most Fascinating Blog of the 2011 in the teaching category!! Totally well deserved - you rock!


Does the pattern at the bottom of the ZIA above look familiar? It is sort of a tangleation of Nightsbridge I guess. Just add random bouncing spots. The one below makes me want chili for dinner... kidney beans anyone?


This is one I did some time ago and somehow never shaded (fixed that this morning) and never scanned in... maybe I didn't like it at the time. I think it shows that Sanibelle does not have to be done en-mass to be effective and pretty... it works with just a few motifs to fill in a V shaped space with elegance.


I had a couple of comments about the wavy pattern in the last ZIA in my post from last week which also shows up in the top entry to this challenge. I was looking for any known pattern that might resemble it. No one came up with anything and I haven't run across any so far either. So, here is a stab at breaking it down... it is very easy actually.

I am calling it groovy because, despite how the lines and shading make it look in drawn form, in the original pattern (found in the wooden panels in an elevator) the white spaces in the tangle pattern were smooth curved grooves in the panel, just the right size to run a finger down. It was a very soothing and textural touchy-feely pattern. I tried not to fondle it too much lest I creep out the others in the elevator and embarrass my pre-teen son. Here it is paired with Inapod and Footlights and River. Note that the sine waves that make up the backbone of the pattern should touch at the peaks, or very nearly. The lines that fill in the spaces should meet the sine wave spine smoothly and at an acute angle to get the right flowing feel. 


I hope you have a fabulous and productive week. Thanks for stopping by.

24 comments:

  1. this post is a wealth of information and beauty. Thanks for the first 'G' in my tangle organizer and keep up your fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanibelle is such a wonderfully versatile pattern and each of your tiles gives its own story of beauty. I love the groovy pattern. I can see it in a future zentangle taking center stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these tiles are gorgeous! I must say, you are an expert in doing Sanibelle! Thanks for the instructions for Groovy - love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All very beautiful, and a great new tangle!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, also the new pattern.'Look forward to use him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just wanted you to know that the hubby B-rad told me he really likes your 'bean' one. Also, i hope you're submitting that tangle!! it looks like sooo much fun! :D laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great. You've been a very busy tangler. Your new tangle is great, can hardly wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice work. And love your new tangle -- groovy. It IS really fun.

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty tangle! Thanks so much for sharing it, Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Groovy! I can't wait to try it out. I also really enjoy your variation on Knightsbridge at the top. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What can I say but "groovy Man!" This is just wonderful to draw. I love it....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am new at this and your tangles seemed to give me great ideas. I tend toward alpha shapes, mix it up and frame it and add stuff outside the box.... well sort of. New at this, remember that part! Love your shapes, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. j aime beaucoup votre travail,
    pouvez vous mettre un traducteur sur votre blog merci
    nel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! beautiful work! your first tile reminds me of a shell that a hermit crab would inhabit. they are all wonderful! i've never had any luck with sanibelle, so i'm not real excited to hear that is the diva's challenge this week - haha! i guess i'm going to tackle that pattern again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Groovy by name groovy by nature....love it....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does anyone know the name of the tangle pattern on the far left side of the "bean"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. far left on the "bean" is Paradox done in mostly triangles

      Delete
    2. What is the name of the tangle under groovy in the tutorial? The one with the double bar and dangly stick.(such technical terms, I know.) I really like that one too.

      Delete
    3. The other pattern in the step out is called Jalousie by Stephanie Kukla - it can be found on Tanglepatterns. So sorry I did not see this comment until nearly a year later!

      Delete