Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday's creative pursuits

I actually got to sew today! So my 'art' today for Art Every Day are the new crumb blocks I made and the new layout I am testing on the design wall. I will also link this post to Jo's latest Crumb post over at Jo's Country Junction as she is the hostess of the Crumb Along that spurred me on with this project.  Along with this I have actual progress to report on my hexie project for both WIP  and One Flower Wednesday! Yea me!


So let's get rolling. These are the new crumb blocks that were made today. I have eeked out a few others, or parts of others in the past two weeks but these made it onto the wall from the sewing table today. I made/completed 4 4" blocks and two more 8.5" wonky stars. I have been contemplating how to finish this quilt off. I think I may put a 2" border of my accent color (gold) and a row of 4" crumb blocks all the way around. By my calculations, if it is a 7x7 layout of 8" finished blocks plus the 4" of border I should need 15 4" blocks for each side plus the 4 corners, for a grand total of 64 blocks. I started out with 40 4" blocks and have used maybe 20 of them for the wonky stars and a few 8" blocks. I need to get busy making more 4" blocks. Fortunately, they are fun to make, go quickly and use up lots of very small pieces!


This is the top half of the layout with a sample border. What do you think? I can stretch my border blocks by making some longer than 'regulation' like the line of flying geese shown above. That is a fun size to work on too. The gold border will be sections of various length of the gold fabrics I have in the stash (I think I will pull the orange square out of there... too distracting). More of this quilt can be found by searching for the tag "crumbs".

My hexie project has been creeping along. I did not get to work on it much this week, but it is showing progress. All full flowers and both half flowers are attached now (although both need an additional petal)  and I have a whole stack of  new green hexes ready to go. A blue border on this one is looking more and more likely, I will keep you posted!



Thanks for stopping by! I am enjoying 'making' myself work a little at a time at one of my many projects and passions on this, day two of Art Every Day!

8 comments:

  1. WOW!! What a beautiful way to use your scraps.
    Don't know if I could be that keen.

    Your Yellow Flowers are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whimsical feeling of the the blocks on your quilt with the crumb blocks. Hope I'm saying it correctly since I don't quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the gold border very much. Now I see why Jo suggested using one anchoring colour through all the blocks. Wish I'd paid better attention. Maybe next time. But I digress... back to your quilt blocks. The gold gives it all a nice glow and is very unifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your crumb quilt! The yellow and red hexies are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors on the hexagons... so so pretty! The crumbs are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me tired! You get more done on your "off" days than I get done in my "good" weeks. Everything looks great. I like the scrappy border on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hexies are great. Great minds think alike, I posted a few of my crumb squares this week too. Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blocks. Like your wonky stars with crumb centers.

    ReplyDelete