Sunday, September 4, 2011

Up for adoption....

Although some days this post title could be about my own dear children, they have been pretty pleasant so far this weekend and have even done some of their chores without undue harping. I spent the bulk of my morning wading through the morass that was my sewing room and is now shared by my oldest "tween-aged" son. I am attempting to impose a little order and organization to this previously freewheeling creative space and I am turning up all sorts of things that I kinda, sorta forgot about, but remember when I see them. This is my wall of orphan blocks...

For each of those pictured here there is assuredly another hiding somewhere still and at least one or two half finished, or even half started projects lurking. But these are the 'true' orphans. Some of them are sample blocks for classes I once taught, some are orphans left over from charity quilts put together by the group I ran for four years. Still others are pieced together from left overs in the hopes of including them in a priced backing, only to run out of space. I can see wall hangings in some of them like the blue Celtic knot and I would love a whole quilt of the red and blue That Thirties Thing blocks, if I ever get around to it. I think the tiny broken dishes at the top might be the seed of a doll quilt, but I can't picture the finished pattern yet. The floral wreath and basket could make cute tote bag fronts... but really, I have a million (and it doesn't feel like I am exaggerating much right now) other projects that I am more invested in. There are charity tops waiting to be finished, backings that are almost finished, all of them still in my possession need quilting. Then there are my own projects too numerous to count. Seriously, I haven't made a list of UFO's because it would just be too depressing. So at what point do you cut your losses with these orphan blocks and move on to other things? And what do you do with them? I have heartlessly tossed a few that were hopelessly out of square, but perfectly good blocks that you have no intention of using.... what do you do with them? I just don't have the space anymore, and would love for someone else to enjoy these, but I don't want to just pass on my own headaches either. So what would YOU do?

No comments:

Post a Comment