Saturday, April 14, 2012

Finally some Zentangle action...

I have been seriously out of sorts with my tangling efforts since the beginning of the year. When I have had the time (which hasn't been often) to sit and tangle I have been sorely disappointed in my efforts. I have tried to keep up with the challenges presented by The Diva but have not actually posted one in months, although a few have been even been finished. Through it all I figured that it was just a matter of over-thinking... in the beginning I was just making random stabs at it and doing passingly well. Then the process got a bit too cerebral and that took the natural flow away and I had the previous good results to 'live up to'. I needed to get back in there and just do it and get over the slump. Sometimes I just want to quickly draw one or two patterns over and over with no plan and no expectation of a decent looking whole in the end and I have let myself do that some too which has helped. So along comes a different challenge... or 'dare' as she calls it over at "The Bright Owl". Erin will be posting mandala templates for tangling and hosting a link-up each time. I thought that the new format might just bump me out of my rut. So here is the result for the first 'dare'... two versions.

I should have chosen something other than paradox for those inner triangles... it loses so much of its punch in isolation like that. I'm not sure what I was doing in the four circles... but I like it as a whole - ironically it looks better in this smaller version than it does in my book! As usual, the Mooka lends a bit of a deco feel to the whole thing. 

I like the garden-y feel of this second one... a little Tufted, a little Facets, some Fescu and an uneven Fengle in the middle. I love how the unbounded sides of Mumsy look like they are larger than the bounded sides... totally an illusion since it all fits in the same original circle. Overall sort of spring like - also looking better here than in my book. Maybe I should scan all my pieces in and look at them on the computer, maybe I would be happier with the results more regularly!

So thanks to Erin for daring us to try the Zendalla format. It should be interesting to see what comes of it.

6 comments:

  1. Eden, these are both great but I am partial to the second one. I like its airy whimsical nature. Thanks for taking the 'Dare'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two neat zendalas but I really like the first one - feels very rich and ornate. I'm partial to paradox so I think it looks fine there. Hard to resist using it when there's a triangle available!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. The first one has an Oriental feel to it. Thanks for sharing your zendalas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful. I like the 2nd one best. It feels much more organic and natural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool!!! Love all of these that are posted

    ReplyDelete
  6. gardeny and oriental - that second one! it's my favorite for sure. i'd love to see it with some color :)

    ReplyDelete