Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Oh I am so WEAK!

I have resisted lots of temptation this year.... I did not get involved in the Swoon craze, although I love that block. I have not been tempted by the granny squares. I did not succumb to the Farmers Wife QAL. I did catch a mild case of hexie fever, but it was a small project and it was done before the holidays, as in pieced, quilted, bound and gifted. That is like a minor miracle around here, a finished quilt in less than a decade. I have also resisted some great sales and been trying to work on what I have or at least with the stash I have on hand.
You know where this is going right?
I got a little too interested in the Design Wall Monday post of a friend of mine who is working on New York Beauty blocks with a QAL. Her's are turning out fabulous. That piqued my interest... I started browsing around at the hosting blogs... found the list of downloadable block patterns... got to thinking about the large pile of jewel tone Quilters Candy semi-solids I have in the drawers upstairs... ugh.
So here is where I am after nap time yesterday plus 6 hours late at night last night...


The bug is still buzzing in my ear so I will have to make more. There are lots of blocks I haven't tried! The thing is I don' really enjoy paper piecing... it is kind of a pain and I find it very slow. I am improving my non-existent curved piecing skills... so that is good right? I do love the finished blocks and I prefer the random arrangement so I need enough to make it, well, random looking. I guess the best news out of this is that I made myself make the binding for the quilt at the quilters right now before I began. AND, I can leader/ender HST's together to make blocks for another, very old UFO that is up on the smaller design wall right now. SO maybe I will have that together by the time I am done with this obsession.
So, as far as works in progress... this is a *sigh* NEW project. I am leader/endering a waste triangle project from long ago, made the binding for the gift quilt I should get back this month and made no progress on anything else... even the half quilted holiday wreath top. I am so lame! Check out other's works in progress over at Freshly Pieced.

3 comments:

  1. Oh goody..... I'm so glad you jumped in and started to play with these. If you have to learn to paper piece, these are a good reason to do it. Your colours are perfect for these squares. They are gorgeous, simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colour choices so much! I started this QAL and abandoned it, mostly because I didn't like the fabric I chose. I do love paper piecing, so I'll probably give another go at some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very successful ! love your colours.

    ReplyDelete